We’ve all been there. You’re running late for an event but don’t want to show up empty handed — without nail polish that is! But when you’re pressed for time, you may look for a way to cut corners and make the nail polish application process go a bit faster. This may leave you wondering if the base coat and top coat are necessary steps or ones that can be skipped?
Keep reading to find out how a base coat and top coat help keep your manicure or pedicure looking beautiful day after day.
The Benefits of a Base Coat
Although the base coat might be out of sight, out of mind, it isn’t a part of the nail polish application process that should be skipped! We’re big fans of a base coat, here’s why:
- Adheres the polish to your nails – Have you ever painted your nails and had the polish peel off a few days later? If so, the polish likely didn’t adhere properly to your nail. By applying a base coat underneath your nail polish you can expect less peeling and chipping, keeping your nails looking their best.
- Protects your nails – There’s nothing more frustrating than taking off your nail polish only to find out that it stained your nail. Certain brands or colors of nail polish can leach into your nails and cause staining. With a base coat, there is an additional layer between the nail polish and your nail to limit the chances.
- Creates an even canvas – If your nail plate is uneven or has any cracks or ridges, there is an increased chance of the nail polish chipping or peeling. Adding a base coat underneath can create a blank canvas and fill in any cracks or even surfaces.
- Hydrates your nails – Repeat wear of nail polish can leave your nail dehydrated, which often makes them more brittle and susceptible to cracking. Using a base coat with ingredients like biotin, calcium, and vitamin B, C, and E can help to strengthen the nail and provide hydration.
Recommended Base Coat: OPI Acrylic Nail Base Coat
Why You Shouldn’t Skip a Top Coat
After taking the time to apply nail polish during a manicure or pedicure, you’re probably anxious to get on with your day after your nails have dried. However, the final step — the top coat application — is an important step that you don’t want to skip. Here are the key benefits you’ll experience with a top coat:
- Protects the polish from damage – No one wants to apply nail polish to their nails and have it chip the next day. Using a top coat over top of the nail polish will help seal it in place and prevent chipping, scratching, or other damage. It also creates a protective layer between the polish and elements like water that can damage the appearance with repeated exposure.
- Creates a barrier against UV rays – Did you know that exposure to sunlight can cause the color of your nail polish to become faded and dull? Most top coats contain chemicals that can help protect your polish from the harsh UV rays.
- Adds a high-end glossy sheen – For the ultimate professional look, your manicure and pedicure needs to have a beautiful glossy sheen. Without a top coat, your nail polish may appear more matte which can be quite dull. A top coat creates a glossy appearance that allows your nails to shine. If a matte appearance is what you’re looking for, you can opt for a matte top coat that removes all sheen!
- Helps your polish dry faster – Don’t want to wait around for your nails to dry? Certain brands of top coat are quick drying — which can help your nail polish dry faster so you can go about your day!